Martes, Marso 15, 2011

Memories of my Nagcarlan childhood

Seeing a Rimas tree today on my way to office made me reminisce the foods of my childhood in my native Nagcarlan. As my cousin Arleen said, ( she is now based in HK as an editor in one of the publications there) you can take the girl out of Nagcarlan but you can't take Nagcarlan out of the girl! Hahaha, so true. After just a day's visit in Nagcarlan, the distinct Nagcarlan punto which has long been gone automatically creeps up and I am transformed into a native nagcarlaneno once again! Nasasapian baga so to speak! Now I will try to recall my favorites:
1. Minatamis na Rimas ni Pilar -- the most delicious candied Rimas of my lola, nanay Pilar, mother of my mom, Nenita, my tukayo
2. Minatamis na santol -- candied santol also by nanay Pilar
3. Candied kamyas -- specialty of my mom Nenita
4. Binayo ni Bayot ( hahahaha)  this is saging na saba na binayo the old fashioned way by a gay living on the top of our street. In Nagcarlan, they call a gay bayot thus the term binayo ni bayot
5. Gagalangin or galang galang -- similar to our carioca in manila
6. Kalihim -- most delicious bread with red in the middle. Believe I will be censored if I say what this is called here, hahaha
7. Palutong -- just like kropec but the ones we buy in the town's sinehan is outstanding, just mentioning it here evokes so many memories! It is while watching Sinbad when we gorged on palutong chased by Pepsi which was the popular softdrink then
8. Kalabaw adobo sa gata -- my father Elmor was the best in this. Simply delicious tender ambrosia. He also has the most delicious concoction of intestines, lapay and all kinds of laman loob made into paksiw, mouthwatering. Wish I paid attention when he cooked this.
9. Sinantolan -- my dad's special grated sour santol cooked in gata with alamang and sili, uhmmm. At least I know how to prepare this but since it is so tedious to prepare it's a rarity in my household
10. Sinaing na tulingan -- my dad just buys this from his suki in the market and we eat this with angkak ( sort of fish bagoong which is very red) and pajo ( small, miniature mangos)
11. Sinukmane -- biko in manila
12. Itim na kalamay -- I remember they just cook this during the fiesta on Aug 24 if my memory serves me right
13. Espasol -- I miss this so much
14. Uraro -- fascinating that when you eat it, it turns hot in your mouth
15. Frozen pineapple juice from Dr Plantilla's store infront of Standard academy where I studied till Grade 4 before I transferred to St Theresa's QC. I used to blow my baon on this before going home
15. Pan de limon with Rino's liver spread and star margarine -- I still try this at home now, after being introduced to it 50 years ago infront of the public school of Nagcarlan
16. Pan de tubo -- delicious bread along with Pandeciosa and pan de coco
17. Minatamis na Macapuno -- done the special way by my mom
18. Talangka from Talahabeng -- fresh, fat delicacy
19. Ginataang Yuro ( if I am not mistaken) this is a kind of banana that my mom grates and forms into balls and cooks in gata with sugar. We eat this with palitaw with sauce

 Wow, Nagcarlan is indeed rich in so many delicious things in addition to the remarkable historical sites like the famous Underground Cemetery, the very old church and the very cold batis. This is indeed a place worth visiting when I finally retire.

7 komento:

  1. Would love to visit this place! This place where people can blog and reminisce about food to their heart's content.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Thanks Melongsky and Bethsy. hope we could visit Nagcarlan and sample the great foods.

    TumugonBurahin
  3. Hello kumusta!
    I'm now following you sweetie!

    Pls. come return the love
    www.thedarediva.com

    See u there!
    www.thedarediva.com

    TumugonBurahin
  4. Hi Friend!!!
    Thanks for linking up to Happy Monday Blog Hop and visiting my blog. I following you back.
    Thanks
    Naomi
    http://misoglamorous.blogspot.com

    TumugonBurahin
  5. Yuro po yata eh yung uraro? I am not sure.. Isama nyo na po din yung Talampakan sa Sinipian, kinabog nung aleng naglalako, pancit ni Bayot na lalagyan ng suka, original na palamig na kalamansi ni na Aning sa basketbolan, yung penoy bugok na nilalako nung taga-Sta. Cruz pa po yata yun.. yung amoy ng usok ng mga dahon pag nag-walis (bawal dito total fire ban lol), Unis, binaraha, pianono.. marami pang iba..

    TumugonBurahin
  6. salamat sa mga idinagdag mo... ngayon mas madami ng memories of nagcarlan:-)

    TumugonBurahin